Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sailing adventure

From Giant Jim [heart and hands - not stomach]

Dear family and friends,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and news. I don't know why you fail to receive my emails. Mom and Shauna if my email finally comes through don't worry about the stock information or gleaning anything from my over loaded gmail inbox. Honey I too wish you were here with me so we could enjoy the brilliant stary nights together. However, the sailing is unlikely your cup of tea. It is a little rough at times with the waves and sail causing the boat to lurch from one side to the other.
But no lurching yesterday as we were completely becalmed - no wind - we just bobbed like a top going round and round. Today was so much better. We put up the spinnaker and with the return of the South East trade winds we are going very fast- more than 8 miles an hour. The boat is very fast and very strong. From Hawaii we have travelled more than 1500 miles with only 800 more to go. We may reach Fiji before next weekend. Please tell Brother Chand - I will phone his friend as soon as we arrive to
see if I can help them. Lots of news on the ham radio about the constitutional troubles of Fiji and of course this is a favorite interest on mine. [Perhaps they need a non obstante clause - just joking.] The 5 of us are getting along just fine. Roland and I will do some law business together when we return. Cress is a very experienced captain and knows everything about sailing and lots of other things as well. Tell Leona we have had some great conversations on Conversation 2. He is writing a
book and I plan to make a connection for him with my first executive coach, Marshall Goldsmith - Cress has a similar career to Leona.
I think of you honey all the time and look forward to a safe return. This is the first time since my mission that I have taken so much time off work for this kind of adventure. For sure I can chalk this up on my "bucket list".Thank you for being so supportive. Give everyone a big hug for me. I will phone you as soon as we reach Fiji.

Love Dad

1 comment:

  1. Dad I am writing this in replacement of Mom. She has been at Shell's for the last four days while Shell, Craig and Emily went to conference. She misses you and loves you. She has decided to take the house off the market. She asks that for you not to be too busy when you come home.
    I love you too. And I am glad you are doing something that you love. We are continuously praying for you. Love Mom and Shauna

    ReplyDelete