Friday, May 13, 2011

Coming on Board


May 14, the deed is done. The new diesel engine is happily installed and we are sitting in Singapore now after sailing and motoring our way here last week from Langkwai.

I learned from the struggle. First, as I get older (56 yesterday), the task of working upside down in the bilge seems to hurt more! Second, for all the sweat in my eyes, dirt under my fingernails and boat bites up to my arm pits, its was still worth it to do it myself. It was a lot of work, but it was actually simpler than I had imagined. Now, nothing, simply nothing, gives me more satisfaction these days than to turn the key, watch the instruments jump to attention and hear the hum of the Yanmar 75 hp come to life. The hardest part? Building a four inch exhaust system 34 feet long for the new engine and finding a place to put it. It was like trying to shove a live python down a hole. Second hardest part? Giving away the old engine. Nobody wanted the old girl, including the marina manager who had reluctantly agreed to store it temporarily.

End of an era coming for us. Next month we are bound for Indonesia and South Africa. After 5 years in Singapore, how does that feel? The boat's ready, but are we? Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. She's a beauty! Long may she back you up, and long may that tortuous exhaust run perform as intended.

    Congratulations on a job well done.

    ReplyDelete