Tuesday, September 30, 2008

(no subject)

Hello again,

Well for the first time this trip it's rained when I was on watch. I just finished my 6-9pm shift and it was raining the entire time, and just for good measure it decided to give me a good downpour for the last 15 minutes. After all, it was very refreshing to be getting drenched with fresh rain water opposed to fresh salt water. The salt stays on you like white on rice! Everyday we pray for a good downpour so we can dance around naked on the decks and get clean, which turns out to be a lost cause
because moments later you will probably be splashed in the face with salt water anyway. After drying off from my 3 hour shower, I heard Marcel beckon from the cockpit for my help. When I went up to give him a hand the boat hit a wave which sent me flying into the nicely wet seats which negated the drying process all together. Oh well tis the life of a sailor I guess.

We'll be reaching the equator sometime tomorrow, with the bubbly ready to be consumed and the drunken conversations resumed. Happy hour has become more and more frequent and intense as the days go by. As the alcohol consumption goes up, the intensity of the conversations on board Conversations II increases exponentially. Don't worry we are all being very responsible, and some of us are bigger drinkers than others so there's always someone to be the designated driver. Plus we have Natasha at the
helm anyways haha. After we hit the equator we'll have about 1100 miles or so (which is what the GPS tells me but it's a complete guess really) to the beautiful islands of Fiji, where Cress and I will be saying goodbye to Marcel, Jim, and Roland and welcoming 4 new crew members who will help us get to Vanuatu and Darwin. But that's still several days away. Fiji will be full of snorkeling and plenty of time spent at the beach.

Tired and wet (again) so I'm going to sleep, which could prove to be difficult with the boat jumping around in the waves. Oh well tis the life of a sailor I guess.

Til next time, Lots of love,

Matt

1 comment:

  1. hi matt

    glad to hear your enjoying happy hour. wish dad and i were there. fiji sounds like it would be a wonderful place.

    love ya
    mom

    ReplyDelete