Monday, September 22, 2008

Sailing the ocean blue

From Quiet Jim

Our home on the water saling on "Conversation 2" is living up to its name. We never stop talking and surprise we all have lot to say. There is just the 5 of us and lots of spare time on our hands with a very strong working Captain picking up any slack or mistakes by the slackers. I don't know why they call me the quiet one? As Matt explained I made a lot of noise yesterday with my first shot as chef when I got so excited at my tasty French toast that I failed to hold on when a big wave hit and
I went flying backwards - fell on my back and hip banged my head on the cupboard, but most painful I cut my hand with the spoon I was using for the batter. Doctor Cress took over and with aplomb sewed me up using a staple gun. [Matt took a pass on this interesting procedure as he has already decided to also take a pass on being a doctor]. Today we took the staple out as it seems to have done its work. Too bad doctor and Captain Cress are taking care of my medical needs pro bono as so far I just
wasted money buying medical insurance - mind you the trip is not over.
Speaking of converstion we had a delightful Socrates seminar last evening at the suggestion of Captain Cress who asked us to write down the five most important questions in our lives now. It was great fun even for the quiet one. As my sweetheart Cheri knows too well I do like to participate. By the way all 5 of us had at least one question about finding our purpose in life [I think along the Eckart Tolle lines] and how we could give something back and make the world a better place... like Mother
Teresa. Perhaps the wonderful tranquilty of sailing in the beautiful tropics spawns these altruistic feelings. So far it has also spawned one whale a blowing many dolphins a playing and more fish a flying, but no fish a catching.
I have been reading lots of poetry from my first year poetry book where I wrote a quote from Wordsworth, "Poetry has its origin in the overflow of powerful feelngs recollected in tranquility." My English Professor made these dead poets come alive with such powerful feeling that the next year I switched from science to arts and from pre-med to pre-law. The sailing tranquility is also spawning these life changing memories. Even my new scar[likely permanent] on my hand from the spoon reminds me of
the coral scar on my ankle trying to cross the reef with the wrong wave in Manihiki during my mission. I appreciate the supportive email sent to us from Cheri and Shauna. Please interrupt our tranquility with more news. We don't hear anything because we are internetless.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sweetheart... My life seems pretty dull compared to yours. I'm so glad you went on this awesome trip.. a once in a lifetime opportunity
    . Back to reality in Vancouver. Bernie and I went to Neil Diamond .. Wonderful.. all those old songs. Sunday Shelley had a birthday party for Craig and yesterday I went dragon boating. almost as exciting as you...Ha Ha.. Love you Everyone I tell about you says REALLY?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad! That sounds worse that we thought! You stapled you hand for stiches? Wooh.
    Wenatchee News: Kids have colds, Hunter earned another scouts badge, Jessica LOVES her piano lessons, Hunter scored 11 goals in his 12 to 1 game on Saturday. Logan scored 5 on his 7 to 0 game. Business is wonderful and STILL growing each month. Matt has promised me no more motorcyling for a bit...we'll see.
    MISS YOU!!!
    LOVE Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dad that's too bad about your finger. I have a cold and haven't been volunteering. I won tickets to the Neil Diamond concert at Canuck place. So mom took Bernie. Miss you love Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my dear dad! A spoon no less! Who new making french toast was going to be so life-threatening. Hang in there dad we're praying for ya!

    CNN top stories for today:
    - FBI probing bailout firms
    - Polar bears starving become cannibals
    - Tainted infant formula from China now found in coffee world wide
    - Palin meets her first world leaders
    - Finnish gunman made web video 1st
    - democrats let off shore drilling ban expire

    ReplyDelete