Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sailing Progress

Dear family and friends,
We are celebrating tonight as we have clearly passed by the dreaded doldrums and we should reach the equator in the next couple of days. Tonight we are speeding along at 7 knots complements of South Eastern trade winds. For the past couple of days we would sometimes hit a complete loss of wind and the boat would just bob aimlessly - this is the doldrums. We did enjoy dolphins this morning playing only 5 feet next to our boat. Otherwise little sign of sea life except for some small flying fish and
the odd bird. Roland has been a great addition to our crew- he is a brilliant IT expert and has helped Cress with a number of electronic's issues on the boat. His girl friend Eunice is organizing the best return flights from Fiji - her phone number is 604-723-9427. We don't know when we will arrive so any booking has to be tentative. Please contact her for latest details. Mom did you get my email? My hand is healing very well - no infection. It is very hot in the cabin but on the deck the balmy
breeze is very pleasant. Meals are tasty although we are running out of fruit and bread, but we have an abundance of everything else.
Glad to hear the news that Matt and Rick got home safely and of course very proud of our soccer star grandchildren.

Love Grandpa Jim

PS The stars in the Southern hemisphere near the equator are so beautiful as to take your breath away.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! It is so neat hearing about your trip dad! I would LOVE to see those stars. Things are wonderful here, kids and Matt went fishing yesterday, they each caught a bunch. Write again soon! Do you get news there? Do you need another CNN update? In a nutshell the economy going you know where in a handbasket. Nothing new. LOVE YOU!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetheart I love your blogs but no I didn't get your e-mail. I miss you lots and nothing is new. The kids came over after church today so Shelley could write her songs. I wish I were there to see the stars with you. I,m so glad your hand is healing.... Love Mom XXXXOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dad. Good to hear from you. I love you very much and miss you. Everyone I tell about your adventures is so amazed. I will be looking after Lucy and cats while Shelley and family goes to Disneyland. Take Care love, Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi grandpa, good to know that your hand isn't infected. I miss you so much!!! (come back soon!!) All is well over here. My family and I are about to leave for Disney Land and I cant wait! My soccer team one our game yesterday 3-1.
    lots of love,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear grandpa I miss you, I hope you come home soon, hope you have a good day.
    love Clara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad, are you taking tons of pictures? I plan on making a video of your trip for my blog - everyone keeps asking me how you're doing. You have a lot of people interested in your ocean adventure! Glad to hear your wound is healing. love ya...
    shelley

    ReplyDelete