Friday, November 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Rita !!

Nov. 20/08 Thursday

Happy Birthday Rita ! It's day 16 on our passage from Epi Island (Vanuatu) to Darwin, Austrailia and 34 days since I left Winnipeg, Mb. Wow ! It's really hard to believe how quickly the time has gone ! Except for a few hair-raising/frustrating experiences, it has been a remarkable adventure!

I woke up to very light winds today and some sounds in the galley. It's 5 am. and Rita is baking bread. I'm still groggy so I'm sure I'm imagining this but when I take a second look, she really is standing there. I roll over and go back to sleep.

It's her birthday and we're going to celebrate but why is she baking bread on HER birthday?? My mom's generation felt they needed to work their butts off and invite a lot of ladies over for a party. My generation feels that's a day to relax and take it easy and go out for dinner. OR better yet, get taken out for dinner! Being that Rita is only a few years older than I am, I wasn't sure what her customs were but I did decide that she deserved a break from all her cooking. Not that I don't love
her fresh bread, we all do, but she would get the rest of the day off and we would have a party!

After a frustrating watch wrestling with the spinnaker with next to no wind, we decided to turn on the engine. I went below and baked a chocolate cake for Rita, iced it and made a poor attempt at writing Happy Birthday with a makeshift decorating bag. By then it was Happy Hour time. For weeks we had saved our last Pringles and BBQ kettle chips for this occasion. Salivating and with anticipation, we sat and waited as Bob peeled away the lid. For a moment I felt like we were on Survivor, having
just won a reward challenge as we sat there and savoured every bite!

A few beers later, Dennis prepped the veal roast with garlic, carrots and onions and I made cream corn, mashed potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment