Monday, August 4, 2008

August 5, 2008

From Don, our senior member...

There are so many impressions running through my mind because of our experiences in the last couple of days that it takes some sorting out. For example, we have been sailing for many days now downwind, wing-on-wing, at 7-9 knots with no difficulty in fine weather. This happy chain of events was nicely broken in the middle of last night when I found myself wakened by the tossing and bouncing of our ship as it shouldered its way through a couple of squalls. Indeed I was also treated to a shower of
fine rain, almost like mist, coming down into the aft cabin and soaking our clothes. Before it became really serious I attempted to close the hatch, which was the entrance for the foul weather. Cress was not long in reassuring me that the storm drop board across the hatch would stay secure.

One more thing: The next day, today, I watched as Cress and Al and other assistants spent three hours or so working to solve the mechanical breakdown of the self-steering. If we were to judge the number of things kept in his head to be dealt with, this must truly be a shakedown cruise.

Signed,

Don "The Admiral" Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment