Saturday, August 2, 2008

WindSong

It's 4 am something, and Al is keeping watch in the cockpit while I check in with this posting on the computer at the ship's navigation station. The cabin is in deep dark, with everyone else snug asleep in their berths. And what a great ride we are having tonight! Its blowing close to 20 knots on deck, and we are bouncing along at close to 8 knots. Down here, we are swaying so much, that to type, I must brace myself against the ship's roll by pressing my knees against the chart table.

A few moments ago in the cockpit, Al and I were talking about our passage so far and how we were enjoying one another's company so much. And we were noticing how much singing we are doing. Everyone is a strong singer. Everyone, of course except me. Years ago I remember overhearing someone once saying of me as I played guitar informally to a group gathering "he sounds pretty good, as long as he doesn't sing". It was a careless, but accurate remark by some unremembered person from my past. And I have
hung on to this story. I tell myself I am not able to sing very well, even for my own pleasure. It has been a theme for me that remains both a challenge to overcome, and a reason not to try. As a result, I have avoided the whole issue, and sing a lot less than I want.

But this week aboard Conversations II, my ship mates have opened up another possibility altogether about song, music and sharing. I see my father and Al meeting through song in a way that goes deep through the duets they do in the cockpit. At any moment, they are as apt to break out in song with one another, as they are to speak in conversation. Over their lips flow melodies from a generation or two before me, that until that moment, even they had forgotten. Though to me, many of their songs mean
almost nothing, as I watched and listened to them, I could see they positively gushed with pleasure as they sang together. In the remembered songs, they were remembering and reliving some rich part of the their individual and collective histories. Now I see how their sharing in song connects them. Song connects them in humanity -- to themselves and to one another. Likewise, Leona and Irena sing together. During their time together on night watch, to pass the dark hours, conversation alternates with
song. I heard one night, they shared an iPod bud in each ear while they belted our their favourite tunes together. Mercifully, though they both sing quite well, I slept through it. But when they called Al and I to take over the next watch at 3 am, they were quite topped up with joy. Their energy was infectious and it buoyed Al and I in the cockpit, long after their departure to their own berths.

Finally, the crescendo. What was emerging bit by bit as the days of the passage went by, was brought fully to bloom at our halfway party. Gathered together in the cockpit as the sun brought the day to a close, we celebrated this short time together as friends on this two week passage to Hawaii in song. As far as music goes, I am sure it was nothing special. Half the time only half of us remembered the words, with "la la la" the ready substitute to carry the melody as long as we could hold it together.
As we rocked down the waves in the dusky light, we trailed a wake of laughter, guffaws and joy. Song is not about the words or even about the melody. It is about the connection. Its about taking time to connect to our own souls -- all of us singly -- and then connect with one another.

Thanks to my companions, I have remembered how song and conversation brings to the surface for each of us the essence of what is important on this journey, to what gives our lives meaning. Companionship, in conversation and in song, helps us connect with our own soul, and to our joy, it helps us connect with the souls of our companions. Without this connectedness so much or our own journey through life would go by unnoticed, unappreciated and un-enjoyed, like the ocean floor slides by unseen by me
tonight a thousand feet beneath the ships keel. Song and companionship, keeps us afloat!

I see the dawn light is looming through the port lights. I must rejoin Al in the cockpit before waking the next watch!

Captain Cress

1 comment:

  1. I am trying to remember the kind of songs that Irena would like. I myself sing in a church choir that usually sings contemporary music. I find it actually causes me to react so much to the energy that I need help standing after a while. It would be fun to sing sailor songs or even drinking songs. I like quite a range of songs I must admit. Another favourite is the Hallelua chorus which was my mother's favourite song too. Enjoy your time together - it sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete