Saturday, May 16, 2009

May 16, Day 17, Its a long way from Bali to Langkawi!

You know, its a long way from Bali to Langkawi. 2300 NM if you go the long way by wind.

As I contemplate covering the last 80 miles tonight into the port of Kuah on the island of Langkwai, I realize these are the closing hours in more than a single passage. Sometime early tomorrow morning, maybe even in the waning moonlit hours of pre-dawn, I will see the first land I have seen since Bali dipped below the horizon 18 days ago. What does it mean to come all this way from Bali alone, and to come all this way with Conversations our new boat from San Francisco?

Well, for sure, arriving in Langkwai is a 'coming home'. Seems strange to say it, but this part of SE Asia, now does feel like home. For the last 3 years I have sailed up and down this coast between Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand half a dozen times in other peoples boats, for fun and for pay, but now, its satisfying to arrive in my own creature.

It is also a coming home, as in the completion of a project. Its a project that started in San Francisco a year ago. It was last May when we did our pre purchase inspection of the boat, and since then I have slaved away on our project and boat preparing her and maintaining her over these many sea miles. Since that time, I have sailed Conversations over 12,000 NM to get her home and I have spent 87 days at sea doing it. I have loved the sailing, and on this last leg in particular as my first single handed passage, I have learned a lot about what it takes out here. But what I value the most are my memories of the people that have been a part of this project. Along the way, I have had some deeply fulfilling time with family and friends and met some great new people as crew, and I have had on this last passage, some time to get to know me a little better too! I even had my 54th birthday at sea on this last passage. As for Irena and I, even though she has only sailed a part of this journey in person, she has sailed every inch of it in spirit with me. Its is a long way from Bali to Langkawi, even further from San Francisco, but of course, its about the journey.

If I did not have to stay awake half the night looking after ship, I would have a little celebration. I will save that for tomorrow!

This is likely to be my last post for this trip. But come back soon, I have some other things planned.
Cresswell

25 comments:

  1. This post is beyond awesome. I am always wondering what to do and what not to do so I will follow some of these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your idea simply excellent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thanks for being humble and sharing. Didn’t know about the shared web host potential.. Good to know owning over a thousand sites..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a world we stay in!!?! It just shows us all as much as the fools we are…

    ReplyDelete
  5. that’s a damn good checklist! any chance you could make it into a pdf for us all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to state, you chose your words well. The ideas you wrote on your encounters are well placed. This is an incredible blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent & thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi this is amazing site! really perfect and it will be a new inspirations for me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please add more stories. I would like to publish this in our company publication and yes, credit goes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic article as always, I am seriously considering something along the lines of an affiliate section on my own site… so very timely post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey…thanks for that. Fantastic content. I’ll be coming back soon for more news. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The stories are like reflections of what I am going through in my life…and these did make me realize my mistakes and what steps do I need to take….

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is amazing, I don’t know what else to say. Perfect execution of a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked your article.Thanks Again. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish you best luck for the current and next year!There's always room for more thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey, I attempted to email you about this article that i’ve a few inquires, but can’t seem to reach you. Please email me when have a minute. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I was totally blown away with that. I told my wife and she agreed. I would like to hear whatever else you have on this. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was really inspiring I loved it, thanks a ton to bring me back and more closer to my real self and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not a person who is easily delighted but I have to say your work blew me away. So much ideas and relevant detaisl that you put into it made me see your point of view. Thanks for communicating your reasonable inputs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is very helpful. It presented me a number of ideas and I’ll be placing them on my blog eventually. I’m bookmarking your website and I’ll be back. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was really inspiring I loved it, thanks a ton to bring me back and more closer to my real self and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really heart touching, I have been inspired by this and will follow these thoughts in my life, will never 4get this…… will become follower of this……..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful article, a bunch of high-quality material. I’m going to point out to my girlftriend and ask them the things they think.

    ReplyDelete