Saturday, May 9, 2009

Post or no post, I must blog!

Ah me, it was a tough day yesterday. A bunch of things went wrong.

No email - something is wrong, either on board with my equipment, or with the one station I can reach. It seems not to be answering my calls. I don't know which it is, but I have decided I will write my blog and send it whenever I can.

No cruisers net - haven't been able to contact th SE Asia Net.

My propane solenoid went south in a puff of smoke yesterday noon. No spare on board and no gas plumbing supplies, so I drilled a hole through the gate in the burned out solenoid and reinstalled it. This will allow gas to the stove, but it means a tedious trip to the aft propane locker to turn the gas on and off.

The push switch in the aft head shower sump died. I ended bailing out the sump by hand, cursing. No more showers there until I fix that puppy. Oh well.

And of course, the wind has retreated. For the last 24 hours or so I have been reduced to sailing on whatever zephyrs come my way. When I do get moving air, it is either a trade wind residual or squall blast. The wind, when comes, and in all velocities, from all directions on the eastern half of the compass, from N, NE, E SE, S. This is what it is like in the twilight zone, errr, the Intertropical Convergence Zone, out of the tradewinds. In the last 24 hours, I have done more sail handling than since I left on this passage, but made less than a 100 miles in the last 24 hours. But, I have to remind myself, I am still sailing, not motoring, and 100 miles a day was my average in the last boat! So stop whining already!

Its all about expectations, isn't it? If I shift what I expect, I shift my context. If I shift my context, then I shift how I feel about it. Context is king, as my coach colleague Bill is fond of saying (How, by the way, are you Bill?)

Speaking of context, you know, its so damn hot, I am going to sneak on the fridge when nobody's looking and cool down a few of those Bali Beers, and damn the electricity dicks!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday on your side of the oceans! Maybe you can enjoy one of those icy cold beers! We'll hoist a glass of wine in your direction!

    ReplyDelete