Thursday, May 7, 2009

(no subject)

The most exciting thing that has happened to me in the last 24 hours, is sleeping in.
This morning, the sun was up when I came to in the cockpit. I could hardly believe it. When I opened my eyes, looked up, and felt my body, I thought I must be in heaven, because it was the best I have felt in days. Sleep is under rated!

I am sailing north west now, away from the heart of the trade winds, and I hate to say it, toward the DOLDRUMS! You know the place. The place of no wind, thunderstorms and sweating crew under the merciless tropical sun. And things are already starting to get hotter as the winds back off to about 10 knots. The boat is slowing, and the cabin is a furnace during the heat of the day without the trade winds blowing though it. It could be a long way to the other side of the DOLDRUMS, where I expect to pick up the Westerly monsoons of the Indian Ocean. It could be 500 miles, it could be 200 miles, or I could get lucky and find the DOLDRUMS going south, when I am going north and maybe I'll hardly ever be out of wind. The suspense is killing me, and I am totally obsessing about it. Truth be told, I am more afraid of two or three or four days sitting around becalmed than I am of the same number of days of stormy weather. Sitting around waiting for wind is agony for me. The only other thing that bothers me more is the thought of burning $400 worth of diesel to motor through it - I am such a tight wad!~

Oh well get over it. I guess, I'll go on deck and chase the birds off the solar panels, bloody free loaders. Its not the free ride that bothers, its the deposits that drive me crazy! On deck, bird poop is like greased lightening. Between that and the carcasses of flying fish I have to watch where I put my feet down. I guess I could get out the scrub brush....... naw... too damn hot.

Position as of 1545 local time S 05 degrees, 36 mins. E 095 degrees, 39 mins. About 1200 miles done, about 1200 miles more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment